Friday, April 28, 2006

eBay is an addiction

eBay is an addiction. I'm sure that I'm not the only one that can admit to that fact. There are just too many nostalgic items on eBay too easy to get a hold of. I started out small, but now I'm practically buying at least 1 item every week.

I grew up watching my father tap his fingers and hands on the steering wheel of his 1975 Cadillac Coupe de Ville. It was a brown-bronze colour. Don't ask me why he picked that colour, I just accepted it. We were always out with the family on a Sunday (back in the good old days when stores when everything was closed on Sundays except for churches and the Ali Baba buffet breakfast in Brampton). Anyways, my father would tap his fingers and hands on his steering wheel to the beat of the Macedonian songs ... and sometimes Croatian and Serbian.

He also had a record player in the house that he would always play Macedonian 33rpm LP records on. I guess that is where I got keen on music. Back to the topic.

So, I started perusing the eBay listings for among other things, Macedonian 33rpm LPs. The first LP i ever bought was Angelo's Florineon Band. I had a copy but it was in such poor shape it was just slightly enjoyable. I found not one, but two sealed originals! What were the chances? I was in heaven. My favourite record sealed and ready for me to play!

Anyways, I started to purchase Macedonian records on a regular basis and it's become quite the hobby. CDs are nice for new music, but nothing beats the memories that playing a scratchy / skippy 33rpm record gives me of driving to Ali Baba to buffet breakfast with my family.

No comments: