Monday, July 21, 2008

Unknown device error in Device Manager

I have a Dell Poweredge SC420 server and was installing a copy of Windows Server 2000 on it. Dell had labelled the machine a server and as such did not provide any drivers for Windows XP. Now I don't quite remember fully, but I think they provided Windows Server 2000 drivers at one point. Unfortunately they are no longer on the support site.

Like a similar post of mine with regards to installing Windows XP on this machine and getting the onboard Intel E7221 graphics to work, there are always ways around getting things to work. If you experience some "Unknown device" entries in device manager, they are almost always the lack of drivers with the Intel chipset. Specifically, I was getting some PCI and USB entries in the device manager. Grab this file from Intel and let it do it's thing :

INF Update Utility - Primarily for Intel 4, 3, 900 Series Chipsets

I have a similar suggestion for a similar problem involving USB drivers in the device manager for my Dell Dimension 2400.

No comments: