Saturday, May 6, 2006

Replacing the LCD hinges of a Dell Inspiron 4150

My trusted workhouse, the Dell Inspiron 4150 laptop that I bought about 4 years ago had its right LCD hinge broken. Granted 3 years was beyond the useful life expectancy of a laptop (in my opinion) , which is basically when my factory extended warranty ran out. So everything after I considered "gravy". The laptop did its job and did its job well.

So, about 2 months ago the right-hinge broke (the side with the double-leg hinge, opposite the side with the LCD ribbon cable). Now, where do I find somebody to fix it? I was pretty handy and so I decided to search on the Internet for a company to sell me the replacement part.

Most people are under the understanding that at the end of the rainbow is a pot of gold ... in my experiences, eBay is at the end of my rainbow. If you're looking for some obscure object or part, somebody is bound to have sold it or currently selling it on eBay.

Most objects can be had for a bargain on eBay, but there are a group of people ("group" is used loosely) who insist on selling the item for a bargain-basement price, but charge something ridiculously high for shipping & handling. Hence was my case when I needed an LCD hinge for a Dell Inspiron 4150. Most of the sellers were asking $9.99 for a single buy-it-now price but wanted something in the range of $40USD for shipping. I tend to avoid those people at all cost.

Regardless, I found somebody who would ship the replacement part at a reasonable cost for shipping and the part itself. Although the seller indicated the hinge was sold loose (in my opinion, means sold without the LCD panel) it was actually in a condition where it would not hold the LCD panel up.

No comments: