Monday, May 7, 2007

Free online file conversions


I was given the task of creating a DVD presentation for an organization. Most of the material I had was originally available on Youtube and a few files in .FLV format (Flash Video Player). My first task was retrieve these files.

That is where Zamzar comes in. After some googling for free utilities that ripped videos from YouTube, I found Zamzar. What a delight this website was to use. Open a browser window on Youtube, copy the URL, and paste it into the file box on the Zamzar homepage. Receive an email notification within an hour, and download a link. Easy enough.

I was using Ulead for my PC DVD production, and iLife on the Apple ... mainly to see which product had a more appropriate theme for me to use. After some experimenting with iLife I found the need to use Zamzar once again ... to convert my PC-based files in .mpg over to the Apple-based Quicktime .mov files. Again easy enough.

Next was finding a player to view my .flv files. Geez, was that a pain in the bazooka. Zamzar came in handy again. It was able to convert the .flv files effortlessly.

No comments: