Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Google Browser Sync


A USB-key becomes a lifesaver for people who constantly work with computers. You're likely to find hundreds of links online that you obviously bookmark. But what happens when you're at home and need the link of the site you bookmarked at work? That's where the USB key comes in ... save the bookmark to your USB and when you go home take it with you.

But the problem lies there ... why hassle yourself with the constant back and forth and perhaps losing the key? That's when I stumbled across a website called Fortuitous. More specifically the article titled Living Online with Web Apps. After reading it I made the push to use both Google Spreadsheets and Google Browser Sync.

Google Spreadsheets I now use to track bill payments and business information. Now I can access the data from wherever I am ... even while on my ski trips. I only wish there was some sort of scripting language like VBScript in Excel. I've written some handy functions that separate costs for bills that cross the calendar years (note: why can't companies adhere to the calendar year for billing cycles? It would be much easier to get a bill from January 1-31 than from December 20, 2006 - January 19, 2007)

And finally for the time-saver! Google Browser Sync. Although I was somewhat reluctant to give up my Internet Explorer, the force to move to IE7 annoyed me enough to switch to Firefox. Now I use it all the time. Google Browser Sync is a plugin for Firefox that will store your bookmarks in Google, and allow you to pull them up on any installation of Firefox across the world. It's made my life easier.

Now, if Google could design some sort of service that allows you to create groups of users who you are friends with ... so that your bookmarks get shared among them all. Perhaps a special "social network folder" that can be separately defined with its own list of subscribed users.

No comments: