Friday, June 16, 2006

Mr. Sub and their Louisiana Chicken Wrap

I haven't been a fan of the Mr. Sub franchise as of late. There "was" a time when I enjoyed the foot-long ham subs with lots and lots of their famous dressing, but all that has changed. This was during a time when there was no direct competition to them - perhaps during the 1980s until the mid 1990s. Mr. Sub was the only thing around, and it was damn good.

Then franchises started popping up all over the place and they started skimping on toppings and quality. And what finally made the decision for me was consistently being stuck with stale bread. It's one thing to get home and say, "this bread is stale", it was another to see the bread crumble right before your eyes when it was being cut down the middle in the shop. I vowed never to go back again.

Then along came the wraps, in particular the spinach wrap. A much longer shelf life, and "ideally" a more healthier alternative. But that didn't last too long as everybody became stingy with the toppings on wraps. One thinly-sliced tomato on a wrap? Haha. One piece of thinly sliced chees? Haha again.

This afternoon I visited the Mr. Sub franchise in Hillcrest Mall and the Louisiana Chicken wrap "looked" interesting. It's funny how the mind can put together a delightful imaginary picture with a simple 3-word sandwich. The chicken bits were abundant but very poor quality chicken ... which makes you wonder how many different animal means "taste like chicken" ... hmmmmmm. And the Louisiana sauce was pretty pathetic.

Then came the queasiness and discomfort the rest of the afternoon. No more Mr. Sub for me. I still enjoy the subs at Subway a lot more. And for me and I'm sure many other folks, the cost of a sub is not going to deter me from getting a higher quality, better tasting sandwich elsewhere.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Holy f*ck yes. Just finished eating that Louisiana sub, and I was thinking "hm.. that's suspicious that they were awfully generous with their chicken". As time went on I grew more and more skeptical of this *chicken*. That puts the nail in the coffin for me and Mr. Sub.