Thursday, June 15, 2006

Edmonton Oilers powerplay

Up until game #5 with the Carolina Hurricanes has left me wondering, what the hell is Craig MacTavish thinking about the Oilers powerplay line? What stands out in my mind was a mind-boggling performance in game #4 where the Oilers had 3 powerplay opportunities in a row, the 3rd being a 2-man advantage.

Why aren't there any Oilers standing in front of the net blocking the goalie and to pick up any rebounds? And how come the Oilers don't have any hard shooters? I remember the days of the Leafs with Eddie Olcyzk and his killer slapshot - to the point of earning the title of fastest slapshot in the league. To me it doesn't seem like the Oilers have any juice for point shots.


Which brings me to the next point : why not go for rebounds when you don't have a solid shooter? Block the goalie and pick up a rebound. Too many of the Oilers are out in the outskirts of the zone. Don't pass, shoot shoot shoot ! Then pick up the spoils.

And it seems like too many Oilers are right-handed shooters forcing a quick turn to get a decent shot. But I guess that is not easily fixed.

All in all I think Edmonton has a strong team this year and for the next 2-3. And I think Markkanen is doing a bang-up good job at goaltending.

No comments: